American Heart Association® HF Helper™ Participant Terms of Service
Last Updated June 30, 2022
GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM OF A LOCAL HOSPITAL OR DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY.
The HF Helper™ app is provided by the American Heart Association (“AHA”) to empower users (“Participants”) to manage their heart failure through the tracking of factors that affect the condition, including weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, pulse, and medications. AHA does not provide any advice or assistance directly to Participants through HF Helper™ technology, does not control the conduct of any HF Helper™ technology users, and is not a party to any discussions or interactions between or among users that may be facilitated by the HF Helper™ technology.
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT. PRINT THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS.
THIS IS A BINDING LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION®
PLEASE READ THIS PARTICIPANT SUBSCRIPTION AGREEMENT (“PARTICIPANT SUBSCRIPTION AGREEMENT”) CAREFULLY. By accessing and using HF Helper™ and other websites, online services, social media sites, and related documentation and help files provided by AHA and its affiliates (collectively referred to as “AHA,” “us,” “our,” or “we”), and other websites linking to this Participant Subscription Agreement (collectively, “AHA Sites”), and by using any AHA mobile application (“AHA Apps”) (collectively, the “Platform”), You agree to be bound by this Participant Subscription Agreement.
YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE AGREEMENT, AND YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT:
(A) YOU ARE OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE;
(C) YOU HAVE INDEPENDENTLY EVALUATED THE DESIRABILITY OF USING THE PLATFORM AND PARTICIPATING IN THE HF HELPERTM PROGRAM; AND
(D) YOU HAVE REVIEWED THE AGREEMENT WITH A LAWYER IF YOU SO CHOOSE, AND ARE NOT RELYING ON ANY REPRESENTATION, GUARANTEE, OR STATEMENT OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT.
We may revise and update the Agreement from time to time without prior notice to You and will post the updated Agreement to the Platform. ANY CHANGES TO THE AGREEMENT WILL APPLY IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING TO THE PLATFORM. BY USING OR OTHERWISE ACCESSING THE PLATFORM, UPLOADING OR DOWNLOADING CONTENT OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION TO OR FROM THE PLATFORM, YOU HEREBY AGREE TO, AND SHALL BE SUBJECT TO, ALL THE DOCUMENTS INCORPORATED INTO THE AGREEMENT AND ANY
HF HELPERTM IS ONLY A TECHNOLOGY PLATFORM
AHA provides the Platform as a free tool and service (the “Services”) to empower Participants to improve their heart health by understanding and tracking the factors that affect heart failure, including weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, pulse, and medications. You may enter Your personal and health information into the Platform, such as Your weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, pulse, and medications, for Your own tracking over time, and for viewing by approved health care providers (“Providers”) as discussed in this Participant Subscription Agreement. AHA DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY SERVICES TO OR ON BEHALF OF ANY HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS, OR ANY HEALTH ADVICE OR ASSISTANCE TO YOU, DOES NOT CONTROL THE CONDUCT OF ANY PARTICIPANTS, PROVIDERS, OR ANY OTHER PLATFORM USERS (each a “User” and collectively, “Users”), and is not a party to any discussions or interactions between or among Users that may be facilitated by the Platform. AHA’s responsibilities are limited to providing access to the Platform and providing the Services under the Agreement.
AHA does not access nor is it provided any personally identifiable individual or health information that you enter or view on the Platform. AHA Suppliers provide to AHA only data from the Platform in a nonidentifiable manner for AHA use. “Non-identifiable” means personal and health information will be copied and used in a manner that will not permit the identification of a specific individual without extraordinary effort. AHA may aggregate the non-identifiable personal and health information of many Users, and may disclose such HF Helper™ Participant Subscription Agreement 3 non-identifiable or aggregated information to other parties, including but not limited to electrical and other physical requirements necessary for Your access to and use of the Platform.
NO MEDICAL ADVICE
Information contained on the Platform is informational only. THE INFORMATION SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE, does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions or their treatment, AND YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON IT AS A COURSE OF TREATMENT. THE PLATFORM SHOULD NOT BE USED IN PLACE OF A VISIT, CALL, CONSULTATION OR THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER. Information included on the Platform is NOT INTENDED AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED, AS MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT. INFORMATION INCLUDED ON THE PLATFORM AND USE BY THE PLATFORM OF ANY USER IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONSULTATIONS WITH
QUALIFIED HEALTH PROFESSIONALS WHO ARE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR MEDICAL NEEDS. You agree that the Services and our provision of any information on the Platform do not constitute the practice of any medical, nursing or other professional health care advice, diagnosis or treatment.
AHA CANNOT AND DOES NOT CONTROL ANY THIRD-PARTY CONTENT (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY POSTINGS BY USERS OR THIRD PARTIES ON THE PLATFORM), OR THE CONDITION, LEGALITY OR SUITABILITY OF ANY COMMUNICATIONS FACILITATED BY THE PLATFORM. AHA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS, TO THE EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION BY ANY USER OR OTHER PARTY IMPACTED BY THE PLATFORM. By using the Platform, You agree that any legal remedy or liability that you seek to obtain for actions or omissions of other Users, AHA Suppliers, or other third parties will be limited to a claim against the particular User, AHA Supplier, or other third party that caused you harm. YOU AGREE NOT TO ATTEMPT TO IMPOSE LIABILITY ON OR SEEK ANY LEGAL REMEDY FROM AHA WITH RESPECT TO OTHER USER, AHA SUPPLIER, OR THIRD-PARTY ACTIONS OR OMISSIONS TO THE EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW.
AHA assumes no responsibility for how You use or disclose any health information that may be made available to You through the Platform. If You utilize the Platform to upload or access health information, You are responsible for ensuring that the computer systems You use to access the Platform have appropriate security controls enabled and that You have accessed the Platform through a secure connection. You expressly assume the risk of any unauthorized disclosure or intentional intrusion, or of any delay, failure, interruption or corruption of data or other information that You transmit to or receive from the Platform. You are solely responsible for providing, maintaining, and ensuring the compatibility of all hardware, AND software.
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE PLATFORM IS COMPILED FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES ("INFORMATION PROVIDERS"). NEITHER AHA NOR INFORMATION PROVIDERS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY PRACTICE MEDICINE OR DISPENSE MEDICAL SERVICES ON THE PLATFORM OR AS PART OF THE SERVICES.
PARTICIPANT PLATFORM ACCESS AND USE TERMS
YOU CONSENT TO AHA AND OTHER PLATFORM USERS SENDING YOU EMAILS AND TEXT MESSAGES TO YOUR MOBILE DEVICE. You can stop text messages at any time by responding to the "opt out" request at the bottom of any e-mails from AHA, texting STOP, END, CANCEL, UNSUBSCRIBE, or QUIT to the number sending a text message, or by calling the phone number or writing to the address below. Please include a copy of the e-mail or other communication You received from the AHA in Your correspondence to us. Make sure Your information matches what You provided during registration.
- Provider Communication. If You and one or more of Your health care providers each agree, You can share Your personal and health information with each Provider via the Platform.
YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE PLATFORM TO COMMUNICATE URGENT ISSUES TO A PROVIDER. Providers are not required to and may not quickly respond to information You enter via the Platform, and even then, there is no guarantee of a response. FOR ALL MEDICAL EMERGENCIES AND URGENT MATTERS, PLEASE GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM OR DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY. The Platform is not a substitute for appropriate and timely contact with a health care professional.
- Any information You share with a Provider through the Platform may be made part of Your official medical record independently by Your Provider, in Your Provider’s discretion.
- If You decide at a later time that You do not want Your Provider to access Your Platform account,
You may terminate such sharing.
- Sharing Your Information Via The Platform. You understand and agree that if You decide to share Your information with Providers via the Platform, Your sharing of information is solely for Your convenience and is done solely at Your own risk. AHA does not screen or verify the identity of the Providers You allow to view Your account, and is not responsible for the use or misuse of Your personal and health information by persons You have allowed to access Your account. You are responsible for determining the people You allow to view Your account are the people You wish to view Your account, and with whom you are willing to share Your personal and health information.
- You Are Responsible for Your Safety. The Platform or a Provider might suggest physical activity for You. Any physical activity can be potentially hazardous and may involve physical risks. IN CONSIDERATION OF BEING ALLOWED TO ACCESS AND USE THE PLATFORM, YOU HEREBY EXPRESSLY AGREE TO ASSUME ALL RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE PLATFORM AND ANY DECISION YOU MAKE REGARDING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY OR OTHERWISE. It is Your responsibility to consult with a health care professional to determine Your fitness to engage in any and all activities associated with the Platform. It is also Your HF responsibility to use equipment, clothing, and techniques appropriate to the activities related to Your
use of the platform. You acknowledge and agree that You are solely responsible for Your own safety.
- Your Account. Do not share Your login information with anyone. If You share your login information with anyone, that person will be able to access Your personal and health information. Do not use the Platform from public devices because Your personal and health information may not be protected. Your Content is Your sole responsibility. We are not liable for any loss or damage of any kind relating to Your Content.
- Access to Health Information. We are not responsible for how You use or disclose the health information about You that is made available through or entered in the Platform.
- No Warranty or Support. THE PLATFORM IS PROVIDED "AS IS".
- AHA’s Limited Liability. AHA IS NOT LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES GREATER THAN $1000, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
- Indemnification. You agree that You release, and agree to indemnify, defend, save and hold harmless AHA, its affiliates, and AHA Suppliers, and its and their officers, directors, employees, contractors, volunteers, sponsors and agents, from all claims arising out of or related to Your use of the Platform, Your relationships with Providers, and Your breach of this Participant Subscription Agreement.
- Termination. AHA may terminate Your access to the Platform for any reason. You are responsible for making sure Your Content and other information you desire is downloaded or backed up.
If You have any other questions or concerns regarding the Agreement, please contact us at National Service Center, American Heart Association, 7272 Greenville Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75231, 1-800-242-8721. Please remember to indicate that Your concerns should be directed to the attention of the National Heart Failure Initiative Director.
USE OF OUR PLATFORM AND SERVICES ARE SUBJECT TO YOUR COMPLIANCE WITH THE TERMS SET FORTH IN ALL THE DOCUMENTS INCORPORATED INTO THE AGREEMENT.
PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING “I AGREE” OR OTHERWISE INDICATING YOUR AGREEMENT (Your “E-Signature”), OR BY YOUR USING OUR PLATFORM, YOU ARE ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT ELECTRONICALLY, AND YOUR SELECTION CONSTITUTES YOUR LEGAL SIGNATURE, ACCEPTANCE AND AGREEMENT AS IF THIS AGREEMENT WERE ACTUALLY SIGNED BY YOU IN WRITING.
You agree that no certification, authority, or other third-party verification is necessary to validate Your ESignature and that the lack of such certification or third-party verification will not in any way affect the enforceability of Your E-Signature or any resulting contract between You and AHA.