Life's Essential 8™ - How to Quit Tobacco Fact Sheet
The first step to quitting smoking, vaping and using tobacco is to understand the risks and health effects for you and your family.
- Within 1 year after quitting, your risk of heart disease goes down by half.
- Smoking is the most preventable cause of death in the U.S. It’s linked to about one third of all deaths from heart disease and 90% of lung cancers.
- Smoking damages your circulatory system and increases your risk of multiple diseases.
- Cigarettes, e-cigarettes and tobacco products contain many toxic chemicals, as do their smoke, vapor and liquids.
- Tobacco use and nicotine addiction is a growing crisis for teens and young adults. You can be one of the millions of people who successfully quit every year.
- Vaping and secondhand smoke
- About half of U.S. children ages 3-11 are exposed to secondhand smoke and vapor.
Make a Plan to Quit
You’re more likely to quit tobacco for good if you prepare by creating a plan that fits your lifestyle.
- Set a quit date within the next 7 days.
- Choose a method: cold turkey or gradually.
- Decide if you need help from a health care provider, nicotine replacement or medicine.
- Prepare for your quit day by planning how to deal with cravings and urges.
- Quit on your quit day.
Tips for Success
- Deal with Urges: Whether physical or mental, learn your triggers and make a plan to address them. Avoid situations that make you want to smoke or use tobacco until you’re confident that you can handle them.
- Get Active: Physical activity can help you manage the stress and cravings when quitting. You’ll feel better, too.
- Handle Stress: Learn other healthy ways to manage the stress of quitting.
- Get Support: A buddy system or support program can help you with some of the common struggles of quitting. 1-800-QuitNow
- Stick with It: Quitting tobacco takes a lot of willpower. Reward yourself when you reach milestones and forgive yourself if you take a step backward. Get back on course as soon as possible to stay on track and kick the habit for good.
View or Download Fact Sheet
English (PDF) | Spanish (PDF)
How to Quit Tobacco Resources
Life's Essential 8 Fact Sheets
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Eat Better Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Be More Active Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Quit Tobacco Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Get Healthy Sleep Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Manage Weight Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Control Cholesterol Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Manage Blood Sugar Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Manage Blood Pressure Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 Fact Sheet